Garmin T5 Tracking Collar for Astro 320 or Alpha 100
Overview: Garmin T5 Tracking Collar, Sometimes Referred to as the Garmin Astro T5 collar.
Garmin T5 collar Pro Staff Quick Product Review
- During our time in the field this collar proved to be dependable and reliable.
- Peace of mind knowing the T5 collar is tracking with GLONASS.
- Having a collar that can be tracked on my Alpha 100 without stimulation prongs that can, and have, created irritation to at least one of our smaller sized dog’s neck while hunting in heavy brush.
- Rescue battery life with rescue mode allows me to focus on what matters, my dog not how much battery life I have left on my collar.
- @ 249.99 The T5 collar price is higher than it’s predecessor.
- The T5 was designed for Competition Hunters needs in mind, which means there are some features that are disabled that a Pleasure hunter would appreciate. For example the T5 Does not have Bark detection.
- The battery life on the T5 is slightly lower than the DC50.
Garmin T5 Collar Features:
- RESCUE MODE: Initiates a battery conservation mode after reaching 25% of the batteries remaining charge
- IMPROVED GPS SIGNAL with T5 Garmin Tracking Collar.
- Collar tracks additional satellites known as GLONASS (Russian GPS satellites)
- Proven effective design feature: Top mounted GPS receiver
- STRONGER MORE DURABLE ANTENNA: Two lengths of braided steel core antennas to choose from 18 ½” standard, and the 22 ½“ extended range for higher quality communication
- EASY TOOL LESS STRAP REPLACEMENT, Double U Hunting Supply has many colors to choose from.
- WATER RESISTANT up to 10 meters
The Astro / Alpha T5 Features vs. Astro DC50 Features:
- Astro / Alpha T5 can be tracked with either/or the Alpha 100 or the Astro 320
- Earlier Astro 320 handhelds need to be updated before they can be used to track the T5. (The T5 WILL NOT track on a Astro 220) For instructions on how to update your Astro, visit our How-To section “link” (needs link)
- When paired with the Alpha 100 the T5 can be used to control your VIRB action camera from long distances. (Garmin Virb Sold Seperatly)
- LED beacon lights
- Same great reliable tracking features, GLONASS, top mount GPS, Rescue Mode
- No Bark Detection or Training Features with the T5 to comply with competition rules.
- The Garmin T5 can be tracked on either the Alpha 100 or the Astro320.
NOTE: The T5 tracking collar was designed with competition rules in mind.
Key Features of the Garmin Astro / Alpha T5 Tracking GPS Collar
- Reliable GPS Dog Tracking: It is now less likely for your collar to lose satellite reception while hunting in heavy cover or deep canyons due to the highly sensitive top mounted GPS module that now tracks with GLONASS. With GLONASS your collar is able to receive signals from a total of 49 earth orbiting satellites. That’s 21 more satellites than the TT10.
- Same Great Rescue Mode: This feature, if enabled by either your Alpha 100 or Astro 320, increases the amount of time you have before a collar battery dies. This allows more time for you to find and recover your treasured dog. As soon as the collar detects its battery has decreased to 25% of its full charge, it automatically begins to conserve its battery by changing the update rate from its preset setting to a 2 minute update. Remember, this feature must be enabled manually by the user with either the Alpha 100 or the Astro 320 handheld.
- Same Upgraded VHF Style Antenna as the DC50: There are two antenna choices to choose from for the Garmin T5. They are the 22.5” or 18.5”. The length and flexibility of this VHF antenna with braided steel core increases range and durability. Both are included in the purchase of a T5 from Double U Hunting Supply.
- Quick Change Collar Strap: The Garmin T5 uses the same collar strap design as the Garmin Alpha TT10, and Astro DC50 collars. It is quick and easy to switch out collar straps with no tools needed. Just slide your favorite colored collar straps through the integral channels on the Garmin T5. All universal 1 inch D-ring collar straps or even the TriTronics EXP straps can be put on your GPS dog tracking collar in seconds. We have also put a training unit like the TriTronics EXP on the same strap as the T5 with ease. This eliminates excessive collars on your dog.
- Changed Charging Port: Garmin changed the charging port to the 5 connection points similar to the TT 10 and TT 15 collars. By using a standard USB interface, it allows 3 different ways to charge the collar: an AC outlet, a 12 volt vehicle charge port, or the USB port on a computer. The ability to plug it right into a computer makes it convenient when your T5 needs a software update. All that’s required for an update is to attach the charging clip to the T5, plug the T5 into a computer and run Garmin Web Updater. It’s really that easy.
- T5 has a Helpful Pairing Tone Indicator: An appreciated difference from previous collars is that a tone will sound when adding a collar to your handheld. This confirms you’ve added the correct collar when there are other collars close by. For most of the settings on your T5 the handheld will tone when the setting has successfully been changed. For example: when you change dog type to “treeing dog” your T5 will beep to let you know you have successful completed the task.
- Private PIN Lock: While linked to an Astro 320 users can choose a 4 digit code for each T5 tracking collar. This code must be entered before someone else can track that T5 collar. It may not seem crucial during a normal day to day hunt but could prove priceless while competition hunting, hunting with or around large hunting groups or in the presence of someone with ill intent. When linked to the Alpha 100 it utilizes the same track and train code feature as the TT10.
- Variable Dog Types: With the Garmin T5 you can select the type of hunting dog each of your dogs wearing an Astro / Alpha T5 are. This allows you to receive information from your T5 collar that your dog is idle, therefore indicating that your dog is either pointing or treeing depending on what type of dog you chose. Your options are 1) Pointing, 2) Treeing, 3) Auto, and 4) None.
- Smarter Power Button Placement: The location of the power button is very important. We often see DC30s and DC40s with the rubber cover that seals the power button worn or ripped. This makes it very easy for moisture to make its way inside the case causing damage that sometimes cannot be repaired. The Astro T5 power button is located on the bottom of the collar box which protects from this everyday wear and tear as well as prevents the collar from being accidently turned off when struck by something in the field.
- Protective Antenna Sleeve: The Garmin Astro T5’s antenna sleeve protects your antenna from wear and tear but also keeps it erect and receiving satellite signals. This thick rubber sleeve will have you saying good-bye to zip ties and electrical tape and hello to an easy to clean, durable antenna that stays upright without all the trouble.
- Mix and Match
- When the T5 is linked to the Garmin Astro 320 you can track up to 10 Astro tracking collars including; the Garmin T5, DC30, DC40 or the DC50s combined.
- When the T5 is paired with the Garmin Alpha 100 you can track up to 20 Alpha collars including the Garmin T5, Garmin TT15, Garmin TT10s combined.
Product Review Summary: Garmin Astro T5 Tracking Collar
Below is a summarized Review of the T5, Click the link below if you would like to read our full comprehensive Review
(Astro T5 collar Review)
Comparing the Garmin Astro T5 to the Garmin Astro DC30, DC40
Why Upgrade from a DC30 or DC40?
There are a couple major reasons why you would want to upgrade to the Garmin T5. First is the greatly improved satellite reception you’ll enjoy: one of the most significant improvements in the Garmin T5 Dog collar is the top-mounted GPS receiver and antenna, which assure quicker satellite acquisition and more consistent satellite connections when your dogs are in heavy cover or deep canyons. In addition, Garmin has enabled the GLONASS system of satellites for your new GPS tracking collar. With an updated Astro 320 you’ll have 21 more satellites available to help pinpoint your location as well as your dogs.
Thanks to Rescue Mode, a great new feature with the T5, you’ll also enjoy the “peace of mind” knowing you have longer battery life than with the DC30 or DC40 dog tracking collars. Rescue Mode was first introduced in 2012 on Garmin’s top-line Alpha TT10 collars. Basically, it slows the collar update rate from once every 5, 10, or 30 seconds to once every 2 minutes to conserve battery life after your T5 battery has diminished to 25% of its full capacity. Having extra time could be critical when attempting to recover a wayward hound.
Another critical improvement in the T5 over the DC40 dog tracking collar is the longer braided steel antenna. The design and construction of this VHF long-range antenna provides up to 30% more tracking range than you get with the DC40. The T5 antenna is also much more durable and less prone to damage than the copper-wound stubby antennas on the DC40 and DC30 GPS tracking collars.
Lastly, some of the finer performance details that separate the T5 from its predecessors include its versatile, user-friendly charging system and beep-tones that confirm when you add collars or change settings on the T5 Garmin tracking collar.
Garmin Astro / Alpha T5 Features and Details
- Top-mounted, high sensitivity, GLONASS-enabled satellite receiver
- Rescue Mode extends battery life up to 40 hours.
- 22.5” braided-steel antenna, with 18.5” antenna included as an option
- User-configurable Rescue Mode to extend battery life
- Updates dog positions every 5, 10, 30, or 120 seconds in Astro Mode
- Updates dog positions every 2.5,5,10,30,120 seconds in Alpha Mode
- Easy-to-replace 27”x1” collar strap (no tools needed)
- Extreme waterproofing (up to 10 meters, or ~33 feet)
- Rechargeable, replaceable Lithium Ion Battery
Batteries and Battery Life of the Garmin Alpha / Astro T5 GPS Collar
T5: With rescue mode on, the T5 tracking collar has approximately a 40 hour battery life. Here’s how:
- 10 second update rate means around 27 hours (before battery reaches 25%)
- When the battery reaches 25%, rescue mode changes the update rate to 2 minutes
- 2 minute update rate means about 16 additional hours
- Total: approximately 43 hours
Secure Dog Tracking Option for the Garmin T5 Track Collar / PIN Locks
There are times you might not want other people in the field to track your dogs.
Garmin Astro Mode with T5:
When used with the Astro 320 you can utilize the PIN Lock. With it, you keep others from seeing your dog on their handheld. How it works is you assign a 4 digit code to each dog’s Garmin GPS tracking collar. In order for someone else to view your dog, they must first enter that dog’s code. If your hunting partner wants to track one of your dogs you can simply give them the code.
Garmin Alpha Mode with the T5:
TRACK CODE: When used with the Alpha 100 the T5 Tracking collar automatically utilizes the 6 digit built in track code. When you want to allow your buddy to track your dog you can give them the track code and they will only be able to track your dog wearing the T5 dog tracking collar.
TRAIN CODE: The Alpha system utilizes a Track and a Train code which is used with the TT style Track and Train collars. Because the Garmin T5 does not have the same training functions as the track and train collar models, the code allows another handheld to make changes on the T5 such as update rate, ID numbers and the LED light function. Caution should be used when giving security PIN numbers, or track and train numbers to others.
What’s in the Box for the Astro T5 collar?
Garmin Astro / Alpha T5 Track Only Collar Mounted
Extra Stainless Steel Antenna
Garmin T5 Vehicle Charger
Garmin T5 Home Charger
Garmin T5 Pigtail Charging Clip
Garmin Astro T5 Quick Reference Guide Owner’s Manual
Garmin T5 Tracking Collar